13th May 2021
Public Health England and the Department of Health & Social Care has issued updated guidance for arranging or attending a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic. This revised guidance applies in England.
The revised guidance contains updated advice for stage 3 of the roadmap, from 17 May, including:
- Change from capacity limit of 30 at a funeral to no numerical maximum but rather limits defined by the risk assessment of the venue, based on enabling 2 metre social distancing between individuals within the venue, whether inside or outside
- Increase from 15 to up to 30 attendees permitted at commemorative events
- Changes to social distancing advice where attendees, with considering of the risk, can choose to have close contact with friends and family during the service
- Event organisers/ venue managers therefore need to enable social distancing as opposed to ensure social distancing between those attending the event
- Tweaks to advice for clinically extremely vulnerable people in line with changes to social distancing advice